The artist one day falls through a hole in the brambles, and from that moment he is following the dark rapids of an underground river which may sometimes flow so near to the surface that the laughing picnic parties are heard above. —
Drawing vs. Painting: More Artists to Look At
Painting by Susan Rothenberg
Synthetic polymer paint and tempera on canvas
67 1/8″ x 9′ 7 3/8″
Class Notes from Art School, SAIC, 1991
More artists to look at:
- Leon Golub: lots of layers, painting, disrupting it, etc.
- Roche Rabell
- de Kooning
- Rothenburg: investigation of same form; break it down, open it up, more abstracted. Space horse is in; deconstructing, reconstructing. Another layer of movement added by lines.
- Donald Sultan, Clyfford Still – idea of shape.
- *Louisa Chase; Frankenthaler
- *Forest Bess – visionary abstraction.
- Phillip Taffe – simplified landscape.
- Baziotes, Jonathon Lasker – the role of line.
- Louise Bourgeois
- Gary Stephen
- Terry Winters
Figuration and abstraction.
How ideas are developed.
Comes from nature.
Look at source periodically.
Can you not go back and be very particular after moving fast, getting abstract?
Diebenkorn (Diebenkorn’s missing works) – colors on cigar box top – beautiful: Yellow, lavendar, green, pink, peach, white – very pale with strip of red, brown. Archeological presence of landscape – strata, layers.
Giorgio Morandi – simplicity of shapes. The less there is to look at, the more you look at it (a specific edge). Drawing aspect vs. painting aspect – how to find out from different material.
- Paul Klee – still lifes.
- Gregory Gillespie – very intense – collage (too tight) + wonderfully encrusted walls.
- William Bailey
- Nicholas de Stael
- Pat Stier – 3 still lifes.
- Giacometti – drawing as a presence in the painting.
- Brice Marden – calligraphic, gets looser as time goes by, more figurative. Great interview here.
- Joan Mitchell – more of Joan Mitchell
- Mel Bochner drawings – lines of force.
- Romare Bearden – NOT flat collages.
- *Charles Burchfield
- Kenny Sharf
- Malcolm Morley
- Sherrie Levine
- Jan Cherkey (?)
- Melissa Miller
- Roberto Matta, more
- Robert Stackhouse, more
- Jake Barlow (Batow?)
- Ross Bleckner
Read more class notes from SAIC: